If you are interested in re-chartering or starting a Young Democrats chapter and joining the California Young Democrats, you’ve come to the right place! Follow the guide and sample documents below to officially become a part of CYD. If you have any questions, please contact CYD Parliamentarian Giovanni Chavez at email@example.com.
CYD Chapter Chartering
All chapters must charter by no later than Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 11:59.
All documents must be submitted electronically to
Important Upcoming Meeting Dates
- CYD Virtual State Leadership Committee Meeting – Wednesday, August 30, 2020
CHARTERING GUIDE AND FORMS
Pay by Check: Send a check addressed to “California Young Democrats” with the Chapter Name in the memo to California Young Democrats, c/o Gould & Orellana, 249 E. Ocean Blvd., Suite 685, Long Beach, CA 90802. Must be postmarked no later than Saturday, August 15, 2020.
Pay Online: Make a donation for the correct amount at https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/cydchartering and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the chapter, the person whose name was on the credit card, the amount and date paid. Online payments must be made by Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 11:59pm.
To Charter (or re-charter) a Caucus:
Are you a group of Young Dems with similar interests or background that wants to become an official caucus within the California Young Democrats? We currently have several active caucuses in CYD. Our Asian and Pacific Islander, Black, Environmental, Jewish, Labor, Latino, LGBT, Muslim American, Progressive, Battleground, Veterans and Women’s Caucuses all provide a space for different groups within the Young Democratic family to gather together, advocate and work hard for our causes. Our caucuses go through a chartering process every 2 years, and it only takes THREE easy steps to charter a caucus:
.1. Head to cayoungdems.com/about/cyd-bylaws to read Article 8 which explains how to charter and maintain a caucus in CYD.
2. Pay a $20 chartering fee online (https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/cydchartering) or mail a check to California Young Democrats, c/o Gould & Orellana, 249 E. Ocean Blvd., Suite 685, Long Beach, CA 90802 no later than Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 11:59pm
3. Email your completed caucus membership list, bylaws and, if required, 10 (ten) letters of support to CYD Rules Committee Chair & Parliamentarian Giovanni Chavez at email@example.com by Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 11:59pm
- If the caucus has successfully completed at least two (2) consecutive chartering requirements and is considered in good standing by the organization, submitting 10 (ten) letters of support is not required.
- At least seven (7) of the ten (10) support letters must be signed by a Chapter President. Three (3) of the ten (10) support letters may be signed by a CYD Executive Board Member.
- The 10 (ten) letters of support must be received in one of the three following ways in order to be valid:
- Mailed to CYD mailbox with wet signature of Chapter President as submitted that year to CYD in that year’s chartering packet;
- Emailed scanned copy of letter with wet signature of Chapter President as submitted that year to CYD in that year’s chartering packet from any email address to the Rules Committee Chair’s CYD email address; or
- Electronic letter of support emailed from the email address of the Chapter President as submitted to CYD in that year’s chartering packet to the to the Rules Committee Chair/CYD Parliamentarian.
By chartering with the California Young Democrats, your chapter gains official status within the California Democratic Party and the Young Democrats of America, and has access to all CYD resources and opportunities.
The CYD Executive Board meets four times a year around the state to vote on potential endorsements, approve new chapter charters, and changes to our bylaws. After chartering with CYD, your Chapter will help influence the direction of our statewide organization by having a vote on our Executive Board and the opportunity to be involved in our various organizational committees. Your chapter’s leader can appoint chapter representatives to the various CYD committees such as the Rules committee, Resolutions committee, Finance committee, and the Credentials and Awards committees during conventions.
Organizational and Professional Development
Throughout the year, CYD’s trainings cover a multitude of areas that are specialized to young activists, including fundraising, campaign organizing, media and communications strategy, as well as trainings for running for public office or becoming a party delegate to state and national conventions.
CYD will work with you to plan and organize that big fundraiser you’ve always wanted to do or the one you need to get your new chapter up and running on its own. Our staff and officers will work with you directly or partner you with an established local chapter to co-sponsor the event. CYD offers bi-annual online fundraising trainings with professional fundraisers to offer advice and answer your questions.
Annual Statewide Convention
CYD holds its annual statewide convention in conjunction with the California Democratic Party (CDP) each year to bring Young Democrats from throughout the state together to participate in various Party activities, showcase the year’s accomplishments and elect officers for the coming year. CYD Convention attendees have access to the CDP Convention floor to witness amazing speeches by our Statewide and Congressional Democrats, as well as view the Party’s endorsements and proceedings.
Biennial Tahoe Retreat
CYD takes advantage of the “off- season” and prepares our members for the next election cycle by hosting one of the biggest, most exciting chapter and leadership development trainings in one of the most beautiful regions of our state. Our Lake Tahoe Retreat is a weekend of workshops put on by political and government professionals in every possible area of political activism you can imagine — lobbying, fundraising, running for office, you name it! There’s something for every chapter and young activist!